my shift knob.. whatcha think??

george

1000 Post Club
hahaha tim i will be taking out the leather one and inserting this one in ...it will be made out of billet alluminum! my leather one is starting to tear.

george

1000 Post Club
oh btw im gonna machine it on my CNC machines, something like that is actually a piece of cake to make the things we usually machine are very complex......i just need to wait till my dad says its okay to throw it on the machine.oh and i need to buy the material[rolleyes]

i understand that you replace the leather knob, but how do you cover the whole that the leather sac will leave? or can the original cover be fit together with the new knob?

george

1000 Post Club
Wadula said:
i understand that you replace the leather knob, but how do you cover the whole that the leather sac will leave? or can the original cover be fit together with the new knob?
hhmmm tim now you got me thinking[confused] but based on some DIY's that ive read it seems like all you do is pull the stock one out although its tight and hard to pull out but it should come right out......and the new one should go right in the shaft and note that i will be drilling a hole on the other side to fit the shaft.

somehow i have the impression we do not understand each other, or better i don't express myself good enough.

the shift thing consists of three things. the boot that covers the machinery below, the knob and the steel bar the knob sits on. if you pull the knob off, the steel bar will be seen right when the boot does not cover it anymore. okay so far? no how do you get the new knob connected to the boot? glued? nailed? stapled? whatever?

george

1000 Post Club
Wadula said:
somehow i have the impression we do not understand each other, or better i don't express myself good enough.

the shift thing consists of three things. the boot that covers the machinery below, the knob and the steel bar the knob sits on. if you pull the knob off, the steel bar will be seen right when the boot does not cover it anymore. okay so far? no how do you get the new knob connected to the boot? glued? nailed? stapled? whatever?
okay i understand exaclty what your saying tim...well actually what i planned on doing was to make the internal diameter of the new boot maybe like .005 of an inch thiker then the actual shaft and maybe it'll be a tight squeeze so it doesnt rotate while im shifting ....and if that dont work i will be making threads on it to make it tight.
unless any one has any suggestions on how i can do this please say so........[:)]

george

1000 Post Club
okay also Tim the leather sack that is at the lowst point of the "whole" shift mechanism that you see from the inside of your car which is what i think your talking about will actually not change no matter what because its sowed together to not drop bellow where its at because of a round ball that creates a "stop" for it which is under neith it so pretty much what i have to do is to make the new shift knob long enough to where it is "flush" with the leather so the actual metal looking shaft wont show....
(i hope you guys understand me[confused] )

george, same page now [thumb]

I understand now and yeah it sounds good to me. thanks for explaining. but you do not intend to put some rubber rings or stuff into those two rings are you?
how about getting the cnc drill write a nice bmwboard.com on the side or on the top in form of circle? [hihi]

junglestylz

1000 Post Club
My car had a billet aluminum shift knob on it when I bought it and I can only give you one piece of advice. If it gets nearly as hot there as it does here (which isn't likely) it will burn the f@ck out of your hand after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours.[?|] [eek] [mad] [rofl]

george

1000 Post Club
actually i thought about that infact my other option is to make it out of titanium!....ti2 is a heat repellent also very strong and light (not that it really matters cuz its just a shift knob but....)the problem will just be if i want to spend the extra cash to buy the titanium because its a very expensive and exotic metal .....i can easily buy another shift knob but i want it to be my project

another skecth i did just now

Attachments

Last edited:

george

1000 Post Club
Wadula said:
george, same page now [thumb]

I understand now and yeah it sounds good to me. thanks for explaining. but you do not intend to put some rubber rings or stuff into those two rings are you?
how about getting the cnc drill write a nice bmwboard.com on the side or on the top in form of circle? [hihi]
actually i was talking to eric (aka epj) yesterday and he mention about engraving the BMW logo on it although i dont have the things to do that i know the company next door does and there are our good friends so the logo can definitly be done.
also Tim no i am not putting rubber rings in the grooves it will look just the way it looks on CAD i dunno maybe ill make you one timmy[:D]